Post Visit Instructions Arestin Periodontal Treatment
What is it?
Arestin is a bioresorbable gel containing minocycline (a tetracycline derivative) microspheres. It has been FDA approved for treatment of gum disease after a deep cleaning procedure known as scaling and root planing.
How does it work on gum disease?
When placed in a periodontal pocket, Arestin maintains a high-level of antibiotic right at the gum disease site without exposing the rest of the body to antibiotics. This allows treatment using one-hundredth the usual pill-form dose. It directly fights the gum disease infection for 14 days.
How do I get the best results from my treatment with Arestin?
- No eating or drinking for 30 minutes following treatment
- Avoid touching the treated areas
- Wait 12 hours after your treatment before brushing teeth
- Wait 10 days before using floss, toothpicks, or other devices designed to clean between the treated teeth
- Avoid foods for 1 week that could hurt your gums (popcorn, chips)
- Don’t chew gum or eat sticky foods
- After 10 days, resume cleaning between the treated teeth on a daily basis
Remember, you must do your part. After your Arestin therapy, be sure to brush and floss daily, and follow the recommendations of our dental hygienists to maximize your gum health!